If you’re like me, you love salads but despise the amount of work that goes into making them. It didn’t take me long to figure out that instead of chopping the same vegetables over and over every day, it makes so much more sense to chop all of my veggies ahead of time and store them in containers for quick salad assembly. This way I can toss everything together super quick and enjoy a fresh, delicious salad in no time! I’ve also figured out that salads are not very camping friendly. Packing all the salad fixin’s along with dressing into an already overstuffed RV fridge or cooler just isn’t an option. But what better place to dig into a healthy, nourishing salad than when you’re hiking the trails in Rocky Mountain National Park, or stopping to take a break on the Otter Cliffs of Acadia? So, I got to thinking, why can’t I pre-assemble my salads in awesome to-go containers, like Mason jars or these insulated salad-to-go containers with fork and dressing cup for salads that should stay cold, and take them with me? It’s totally doable and super easy! The next time you go camping, refuel with one of these portable salads that help you stay healthy in the great outdoors! Just assemble, pack, and pull out to enjoy a bite to eat next to a picturesque waterfall, near a babbling brook, or relaxing by the fire right at your campsite.
Walking Frito Salad
1 lb. ground sirloin
1 pkg. taco seasoning
½ C. water
Fritos, tomatoes, lettuce, black olives, sour cream, salsa, cheese
- Cook meat until no longer pink.
- Add in seasoning packet and water and cook over low heat until it’s fully mixed in.
- Chop up your toppings and set aside.
- Divide the taco meat between 8 jars or containers. On top of the meat, layer your favorite taco ingredients (but not the Fritos!). Put wet ingredients toward the bottom and dry ones up on top to avoid a soggy salad!
- When you’re ready to eat, add crunchy Fritos on top.
On-the-Go Chicken, Apple, Walnut Salad
Chicken Salad Ingredients:
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cooked, diced
1/3 C. plain Greek yogurt
¼ C. red onion, diced
2 celery stalks, chopped
2 Tbsp. mayo (optional)
2 Tbsp. sliced almonds
1 Tbsp. lemon juice
2 C. kale, chopped
½ C. dried cranberries
2 Granny Smith apples, chopped
½ C. walnuts, chopped
1 C. green grapes
- Combine cooled chicken, Greek yogurt, red onion, celery, mayo, almonds, and lemon juice in a bowl. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Divide all ingredients into four to-go cups and layer in this order: chicken salad, kale, cranberries, apples, walnuts, and grapes.
Easy Caprese Salad
2 heirloom tomatoes
8 oz. fresh mozzarella
6-8 fresh basil leaves
1 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar
1 Tsp. honey
Pinch of salt
Freshly ground black pepper
3 Tbsp. olive oil
- Mix together the vinegar, honey, salt, and pepper in a small bowl. Slowly add the olive oil until it has thickened.
- Place 2 tablespoons of dressing at the bottom of 2 Mason jars.
- Slice the tomatoes and mozzarella horizontally into ¼” rounds.
- Layer the salad in the 2 jars in this order: tomatoes, mozzarella, basil. Repeat layers until you’re done.
Easy-to-Carry Cajun Shrimp Jar
Cajun seasoning (paprika, garlic granules, chili powder, cayenne, Himalayan sea salt)
Green and red peppers, sliced
Extra virgin olive oil
- Lightly sauté onion and peppers in olive oil.
- Sauté shrimp and season with the Cajun seasoning.
- Layer the ingredients into a Mason jar in this order: sautéed peppers, sautéed onions, Cajun shrimp, guacamole, and spinach.
Portable Pasta Salad
12 oz. rotini pasta
½ C. mayo
½ C. sour cream
1 oz. dry ranch dressing mix
½ tsp. garlic powder
½ C. milk
8 slices of bacon, cooked & crumbled
1 large tomato, chopped
4.25 oz. black olives, drained & sliced
1 C. shredded cheddar
- Cook pasta until al dente (about 8 minutes). Rinse with cool water. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine mayo, sour cream, ranch mix, garlic powder, and milk.
- Add cooled pasta, bacon, tomato, olives, and cheese. Toss to combine.
- Chill in refrigerator. Divide into insulated to-go cups.
In-a-Pinch Spinach Bacon Salad
4 C. baby spinach leaves
1 red onion, chopped
8 slices bacon, cooked, crumbled
4 hard-boiled eggs, chopped
2 C. sliced mushrooms
½ C. mayo
2 Tbsp. sugar
2 Tbsp. vinegar
1 Tsp. salt
- In a small bowl, whisk together dressing ingredients until thoroughly combined.
- Divide evenly between 4 insulated salad-to-go jars and put at the bottom of each jar.
- Layer the salad ingredients in the jars in this order: red onion, egg, mushroom, bacon, and spinach.
Road-tripping Ramen Salad
1 (16 oz.) bag coleslaw mix
1 C. sunflower seeds
1 C. sliced almonds
2 (3 oz. each) bags of Ramen noodles, crushed (any flavor, you’ll discard the flavor packet)
5 stalks of green onion (chopped)
¾ C. vegetable oil
1/3 C. white vinegar
½ C. sugar
- In a large bowl, mix together the coleslaw, sunflower seeds, almonds, Ramen noodles, and green onion.
- In a small bowl, mix together the vegetable oil, vinegar, and sugar. Whisk it together and then pour over the coleslaw mixture until it’s coated well.
- Divide salad evenly into mason jars or to-go containers.
- Refrigerate for at least 2 hours. Can be eaten at room temperature.
4 iceberg lettuce leaves
Slices of deli turkey
Favorite sandwich toppings (hummus, cream cheese, tomato, cheese, cucumber, avocado, peppers, paprika, etc.)
- Place a slice or two of turkey on each lettuce leaf.
- If using hummus or other spread, use a knife to spread onto meat.
- Top with favorite sandwich toppings.
- Wrap lettuce up and secure it with a toothpick.