Eating cold cereal and granola bars for camping breakfasts can get old pretty quickly! Campfire French toast is just like the tasty French toast you make at home, but simplified and cooked right in your campfire! It is so easy, your little campers can help whip up this filling breakfast that is sure to be a family favorite! Here’s how!
What You’ll Need:
1 Small loaf of bread of choice (cinnamon raisin is a tasty option!)
2/3 Cup milk
1/2 Tsp. cinnamon
1/4 Tsp. ground cloves
1/4 Tsp. vanilla extract
Berries, nuts, or other toppings of choice (optional)
1. Whisk the eggs, milk, cinnamon, vanilla, and ground cloves together until well blended. Set aside.
2. If you’d like to add fruit, wash it and slice it, and chop any nuts you’d like to add.
3. If you’re adding any fruit or nuts, loosely wrap your bread with parchment paper first, then with foil so that there is space between the slices.
4. Place fruit and nuts between bread slices. Set aside some berries for later. (Optional)
5. Wrap foil tighter around the bread, and pour your egg mixture evenly over the entire loaf, then wrap the foil to fully enclose the loaf.
6. Place over the campfire (or camp grill on medium heat, if you’d prefer) and cook for 34-40 minutes, turning occasionally to avoid burning. If the bread is still soggy, continue to cook until completely cooked.
7. Remove from fire and allow to cool 5-10 min before opening.
8. Once cooled, open your packet and sprinkle with powdered sugar, and remaining berries and nuts. Serve with maple syrup and enjoy!
This outdoor breakfast of campfire French toast is so simple and easy it is sure to be a make-again recipe! Serve it up with some bacon slices or sausage links, or just enjoy it on its own! For other great breakfast ideas while camping, try making omelets in a bag or this recipe for a delicious dutch oven dish that campers will devour. Happy cooking!