It’s so easy to get carried away with DIY projects when the holidays draw near! If you’ve been on top of your game this year and are looking for a new project, try your hand (er, foot?) at this tutorial on how to make your own Christmas stockings! It’s a fun and fairly easy way to customize stockings just the way you want them, and break free from the standard red and white fluffy stockings! Here’s how!
What You’ll Need:
- Fabric of choice (burlap, cotton, faux fur, suede, etc.)
- Second piece of contrasting fabric
- Ribbon or piece of scrap fabric
- Fabric glue
- Needle and thread (optional)
- Buttons, beads, ribbons, bows, etc. for embellishment
- Fold fabric in half and trace out a stocking shape. You can also trace out a stocking shape on printer paper beforehand to help with shaping!
- Cut out two stocking shapes using scissors.
- Match up the pieces with the right sides (patterned sides) on the inside.
- Either sew the two pieces together, or use fabric glue between the edges of the layers, leaving the top open.
- If using glue, allow it to dry. Then turn the stocking inside out.
- Using the second piece of contrasting fabric, cut a strip just larger than the desired size of the cuff of your stocking.
- Fold a seam along the top and bottom of the cuff, and secure with fabric glue.
- Glue the cuff to the stocking.
- Embellish the stocking any way you’d like! Some great ideas include Christmas/winter beads, ribbon, fabric trim, fabric flowers, jewelry beading, and much more! It’s the perfect opportunity to personalize your stocking! If you’re really handy with embroidering, you could always add names to stockings!
- Using a piece of ribbon or scrap fabric, fashion a hanging loop, and secure with fabric glue or sew to the top inside corner of the stocking (the side corresponding to the heel).
- Hang your stockings from your mantle and step back to enjoy your handiwork!
This tutorial on how to make your own stockings is the perfect holiday DIY! There’s no restrictions on what colors to make them or how to decorate them! It’s a fun activity for kids too! Just let them decorate their own stocking just they way they’d like it and hang it up so Santa can leave treats! How would you decorate your DIY Christmas stockings? Comment with your crafty ideas!