Apple cider definitely makes the list of the most delicious and beloved beverages to indulge in during the fall season. But believe it or not, you can now make this drink even more delicious by turning it into a float! This recipe is split into two sections, the first will teach you how to make the cider, and the second will show you how to put the floats together!
Homemade Apple Cider
We’ll start out with regular apple cider, and then turn part of it into sparkling cider! This way you’ll have both on hand to quench your thirst, and to make the floats that much better! Here’s how:
- 20 Gala apples, quartered
- 2 cups sugar
- ½ cup cinnamon
- ½ cup all spice
- ⅛ teaspoon champagne yeast
1. Place the apples in a large stock pot and fill it with enough water to cover them.
2. Add the sugar, cinnamon, and all spice, cover, and bring to a boil. Boil on high for an hour, and then reduce the heat and simmer for two hours.
3. Allow contents to cool to room temperature, and remove the apples. Place the apples in a bowl and mash them up. Strain the water left in the pot into a container, through cheese cloth.
4. Wrap the mashed apples in doubled-up cheesecloth. With clean hands
, squeeze the cheesecloth over the container with the strained water until no more juice will come out. Seal and shake the container to mix well.
5. Split the mixture into two ½ gallon containers.
6. Add ¼ cup of the cider from one container into a glass and dissolve the champagne yeast into it. You will see small bubbles collecting on the surface once it is dissolved. Pour this mixture back into the container from which the ¼ cup originally came from. Seal, and shake to mix well. You now have ½ gallon of regular cider, and ½ gallon of sparkling cider. Now you’re ready to make the floats!
Making the Floats
Now that you have your homemade cider, you’re ready to put a tasty spin on them! Dish up these treats as a dessert, snack, or any time the mood hits! Here’s how to put them together!
- Apple cider
- Sparkling apple cider
- Vanilla ice cream
- Whipped cream
- Caramel sauce
1. Place a scoop of ice cream into a glass and add half regular and half sparkling apple cider.
2. Garnish with whipped cream, sprinkle with cinnamon, and drizzle with caramel sauce!
Keep the bugs out of your tasty apple cider float as you sit around the campfire this fall by making one of these DIY drink covers
! And don't forget to let us know what you think of this festive fall beverage by leaving us a comment!