Mmmmmm campfire breakfast! Since breakfast is the most important meal of the day, you should fill up on a hardy meal that will get you up and moving. This one-pot dish is full of protein to fuel you through your day of adventure. Rise and shine and make this Dutch oven delicious breakfast to start your day off right!
1 lb. cubed ham
1 small chopped onion
1 clove of garlic, minced
1 chopped red bell pepper
1 chopped green bell pepper
1 (30 oz) bag of frozen shredded hash browns
1 package shredded cheddar
- Brown the sausage, onion, and garlic in the Dutch oven.
- While the sausage is browning, beat the eggs in a bowl.
- Add the peppers, cubed ham, and hash browns into the Dutch oven and cook for about 15 min, stirring occasionally.
- Pour the beaten eggs into the Dutch oven, cover with the lid, and add some coals to the top. Cook covered for about 40 minutes.
- Once the eggs are cooked and the peppers are tender, add the cheese on top and let it cook until melted.
- Serve and enjoy!
When cooking with a Dutch oven, you use the “coals” from the fire for heat, meaning the wood that has burned down and is no longer flaming. Using the coals from the wood is a little random, so you may want to pack some actual charcoal when you head out on your adventure. This way you can count out how many coals you have and can add and take some away easily to control the heat. Wait until the coals are ashy and white for a nice even heat.
Because Dutch ovens are cast iron, they distribute heat evenly, making it hard to burn whatever is cooking inside of it. This is how you can put a dish like this on the fire for 40 minutes and not worry about it burning. From delicious breakfasts to hearty stews, you can make almost any meal in a Dutch oven!
Do you have a favorite Dutch oven breakfast recipe? Share it with us in the comments below!