During those sweltering summer months you can never have enough ideas on how to beat the heat with some creative and cooling fun! While water balloon fights are a classic summertime shenanigan, the effort to fill up the balloons and laboriously tie each one can be a little discouraging to say the least. Especially when you are left to clean up the aftermath of colorful rubber scraps and shreds scattered around the yard once the fun is over. Luckily, there is an alternative that offers the same thrilling warfare of waterworks without all the hassle and hefty cleanup. So, the next time you’re looking to cool off this summer forget the water balloon fight, have a DIY outdoor sponge ball battle instead!
Supplies You'll Need
How To Make Sponge Balls
- Using the scissors, cut your sponge into even strips lengthwise.
- Gather your strips of sponge together. Take your string and tie it tightly around the middle of your sponge strips.
- Once you have secured your string with a knot, fluff the sponge out so that it poufs into a ball.
- Repeat with each one of your sponges until you have a satisfactory amount of sponge balls.
- Toss your balls into a bucket of water and let the battle begin!
Endless Fun Awaits
Because the sponge balls are soft and they don’t pop on impact, kids and kids-at-heart can all have fun firing off a few watery rounds at each other without having to deal with the cleanup the follows! Separate into teams for a friendly battle, play catch, or just splash around and see who gets soaked the most. No matter how the fun happens, once it starts, you’re sure to earn your title as the coolest mom on the block!
It the summertime, it doesn’t take much to turn a sun-baked backyard into a playground of aquatic fun. Sometimes, all you need is a bucket of water and a few easily-crafted sponge balls. Supply your kids with their soft and absorbent ammo and they’ll be laughing and playing until the sun goes down!
For other fun outdoor camping games, read our posts on Flashlight Games or Lawn Scrabble.